Saturday, February 23, 2008

'The Man' Tales - One More Time

I arrived back in Ottawa in the early evening and drove directly to the university. I had arranged with Dragosani to meet there, but I had again miscalculated and I arrived later than I planned. The parking lot was empty and I searched the halls where he had taken me the previous weekend, but I couldn’t find him. Back then, cell phones were not something everyone had, and it was a luxury I couldn’t afford. Neither could D. So I sat in the parking lot, alone, and watched the rain blurring my windshield. All I could think of was the possibility of spending the weekend searching for him and just missing him every place I looked. I pounded the steering wheel with my frustration and my tears matched the rain as it streaked down the windows. I begged for a mightier intervention – to at least let me see him one last time. Please!

An hour passed and I took another chance and ran into the school and down the stairs to his locker area. Nothing. I searched in the labs that he had pointed out to me, but the rooms were empty. I ran back to the car, but he wasn’t standing beside it. I drove until I found a payphone and called his house, but his siblings had no idea where he might be. I drove slowly back to the parking lot and checked the school once more before giving up. Sliding behind the wheel I started my car and sat staring at the rain on the windshield. The parking lot lights were distorted through the wet glass and I rested my head on the steering wheel as I tried to decide if I should just keep going or get a hotel room for the night. I didn’t want to leave the area where he might be – in fact I didn’t even want to go back home again. I let the car idle so the defroster could clear the fog that was creeping across the glass and put my head back on the headrest while I waited.

When I opened my eyes I could see a figure walking up the road that led to the parking lot. I couldn’t make out who it was through the rain and the space that separated us, and I held my breath as the figure topped the hill and started across the parking lot. As the person drew closer, I could see a knapsack slung over the leather jacket with the university logo on it. I put the car into 1st and slowly drove forward, closing the distance. When he looked up and smiled, my heart leaped and my breath caught in my throat. I threw the passenger door open and he slid in, soaking wet.

I couldn’t get enough of the taste of his lips or the feel of his arms around me as we clung to each other. I laughed as the water dripped from his hair onto my nose and tickled it. Inside it felt like something detonated and I could feel a warm tingly sensation that spread through my body, touching every single organ and making it sing. Drawing back from him, I reached out and touched his face in wonder.

“Where were you?” I whispered, my voice hoarse from emotion.

“I went to get something to eat. I was so busy I hadn’t eaten today. I didn’t realize it was such a long walk or that I would be gone so long.”

“I was afraid I was going to miss you and never see you again.”

“I would never let that happen.” He folded me in his arms and it was a long time before we left the parking lot and found a hotel room once more.

16 comments:

Living the Dream said...

I know I have said this before but I am so pleased to have found your blog. Cant wait for the next installment.
As for the sewing up of the sweater, why don't you live closer, then it would get done.
Thanks for coming by and reading my blog, not half as interesting as yours though, quite dull by comparison, though in the past I have had my moments :-)
Take care
Hazel
xxxx

travelling, but not in love said...

You should be writing for TV with these cliff-hanger endings. You certainly know how to keep us coming back for more!

Anonymous said...

I hate that when I end up late somewhere and I have missed the person. I hate it when I am expecting someone and I sit and watch until I finally realize they are not likely coming. I can't imagine how tough it would have been in your situation.

Irene said...

If I didn't know better, I would think that you had found your true love, but I am afraid it isn't so and that he will stay behind as you drive back home again.

Or are you taking him with you?

the rotten correspondent said...

Hey, Irene read my mind! And beat me to it, too.

I Beatrice said...

Such a sweet romance Aims! Bitter-sweet perhaps - since as you keep reminding us, things must get worse again before they can get better?

I can't help wondering what The Man is making of all this though...?

Anonymous said...

and I feel you both licking raindrops off each other...again, very poignant and sensual, Aimsy....finally it seems like a Man with a good soul has appeared out of the rainy mist

aims said...

Hazel - Those 'moments' are wonderful memories some times aren't they?

TBNIL - Oh dear - I'm hearing this a lot!

Dawn - I could have kicked myself for misjudging the driving distance - again!

Irene - I'll let you know in the next post..

RC - LOL

Dearest B - Upon inquiry he says that sometimes it is hard for him to read - almost unbearable at other times. He has revealed that he feels pain that these things were done to me. He doesn't show any signs of jealousy tho - he says 'everyone has a past' and leaves it at that. He gets lots of hugs from me!

Popkins - It really was romantic. Sigh. Almost enough to make me swoon - if I was a swooner...

Lane Mathias said...

Your comment to i Beatrice tells me that Dragosani is not going to be The Man. And there was me thinking .....

So, what next? I'm intruiged:-)

Beckie said...

I remember the days without cell phones - it was hit and miss sometimes. Oh, and trying to get a sibling or a parent to give any information was impossible...oh, how I remember those days.

Canadian flake said...

Wow I am sooo happy you found my blog so I could come to yours. You are an amazingly gifted writer...

Everytime I come here to read, I lose myself in your writings...and I always want to say moreeeeee pleaseeeee don't stop.

Can't wait to hear more...

rilly super said...

aims, I know this is off topic but I have been watching a TV documentry about big men driving heavy lorries over frozen lakes and combined with reading your stories I think I should move to canada as soon as possible

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Once more with feeling, aims. It's such a compelling story, and I have to say, much better in your own 'voice'. Margot xx

Stinking Billy said...

aims, powerful stuff, as ever. Just ignore the pessimists, baby, if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, but live for the day. Some folks just can't suspend their disbelief.

BTW, I am living in the past - at that time, as if it were now, you understand?

aims said...

Lane - Well....

Beckie - I could have reached through the phone and wrapped my hand around that neck...I just needed to know where he was - grrrr

CF - you've got me blushing! It's very nice to see such excitement.

Super Rilly - Darling! Some of the men here are soooo divine and they can keep you warm when it gets so terribly cold and you are snowed in....sigh

Margot - again you've got me thinking. I wonder if I'll hear that when I finally meet up with a publisher?

Billy - Hmmm - are you saying you are putting yourself in Dragosani's place?

Joy T. said...

I love the rain. Ok this is hard to write comments because. Well you know :o) So I'm just going to say I love the rain. Which I do. And I love your story. Which I really do!